Tuesday, October 8, 2013

12 Hour Perspective

I stumbled upon this sweet little blog Pink Pistachio.  It's one of those mom/lifestyle blogs you find from a random Pinterest click and the next thing you know you it's been 3 hours and you are her 3 year old son are really connecting.  She's an all American mother of two boys, makes them carrot smoothies, bear pancakes, homemade baby food, and takes beautiful photos of her daily life including those ridiculously adorable children.  She has a repeating theme called 12 Hours.  Basically she does a picture an hour to capture her day.  Here's a link to the one I recently read that had me feeling inspired.  Now you may be thinking I'm prepping for sentiment here.  Do not be dismayed.  Sentiment is not on the forecast for you (okay, maybe a drizzle to button this up) but sarcasm is your friend here.  I couldn't help but think, while gazing at her perfectly cropped photo of her 7am cup of loose leaf tea, of what might lie behind that little perfect square.  Like is there a whole mess of dishes piled in a kitchen sink with last night's wine glass littered with soot?  I thought I would do a more realistic "12 Hour" take.  And it's so realistic, that I didn't even get a picture every 12 hours.  Because I have a baby under 1 who requires more than 50 minutes of attention every hour.  


5:30 am
Oh you think you're getting up now.  Think again.  See you at 6am sucker.

 6:30am
Only a mother would suck snot from her son's nose with her mouth.  All day.

 7:30
Wonder how many times I'll reheat that same cup of coffee before I finally give up and pour a new one.
Just to drink it cold a couple hours later.

8:30 am
Mom, for the last time, I can't swallow.  I have too much congestion.
Just throw this all out already and let's get on with Baby Einstein. 

8:45am - 1pm

Let's be real honest.  Mom left Dad to do the hand-off to the babysitter and went to get a massage and lunch with the girls on her one day a week of freedom.
Great mom-ing means taking time for you!


2 pm
Panic sets in when you find the bite mark out of the rubber ball.
Convinced you will be waiting to see this reappear in his diaper over the next few days.

 3 pm
Sweet relief when you stumble upon this while playing peek-a-boo for an entire hour - which left you with raw knees.

4:55pm
Sweet, sweet relief.  See you at 6am little buddy.

 9 pm

After escaping for dinner with a girlfriend I still find you waiting for me.


Okay that is more than 12 hours, but it's the best I could do.  And for all you judgers, Palmer is on a 5pm bedtime while we transition to one nap.  That is how you stave off sleep deprivation my friend.  Just ask the baby whisperer.  We also managed to play in the pool where Palmer decided to be brave enough to jump off the edge into my arms.  That's just on the impossible side to capture unless I am a lunatic and set up a tripod on a timer which is totally plausible.  The whole idea came because the original 12 Hour blog post really had me thinking of perspective.  You can focus on all the negative or fixate on those beautiful moments within our 12 hours.  Or 18 to 20...however many you pound through a day.

Would you miss this morning bottle in bed for anything in the world?

I did wipe his nose (and suck it again) so he could eat.

It's a beautiful life if we would pay attention to the beauty.





No comments:

Post a Comment

PRESS